The Racial Equity Committee (REC) is a staff-led committee that was created to educate, learn, and advocate for racial equity within our matches, our staff, and the world around us. We recognize and are proud that our mentoring relationships span across various cultures, ethnicities and races. It is our responsibility to ensure that these differences are embraced and accepted through a culture of openness and willingness to learn from each other. The REC’s goal is to facilitate opportunities for mentors, mentees, guardians, our Board, and staff to create a space for dialogue to in order to not only understand, but also to promote racial equity. Through working together, as a Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts community, we are furthering racial equity to help our kids thrive.
- Creating space for conversations, feedback and ongoing learning to ensure that our practices and outcomes reflect our strong belief in diversity and inclusion.
- Facilitating discussions to educate staff and help them engage in healthy discussions around race.
- Designed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training for all staff and integrating these trainings into onboarding for new staff.
- Regularly sharing resources to all staff around topics related to racial equity.
- Identifying outside resources and sharing knowledge internally and externally through media, books, articles, and our own experiences.
- Partnering with Bigs, Littles, and Guardians to encourage continued awareness of equity in order to recognize and celebrate our differences.
- Raising awareness about race-related issues such as micro-aggressions, implicit bias, and privilege.
- Examining current practices/processes in Program Services to ensure equity.
- Working with HR to ensure equity in our hiring processes.
- Providing opportunities for matches to explore the communities and cultural activities around them.
As a part of the REC committee, I am dedicated to helping create a safe and trusting environment for staff and matches that honors and enables conversation around race, ethnicity and equality. I am proud to work at an agency that is committed to reflect and champion the diversity that exists in the world.
I am excited to serve on our Racial Equity Committee to continue my personal educational journey and to implement my learnings into my professional work on our marketing team. Having the perspective of REC is crucial as we continue to create media for our website, social media, and external audiences, and to ensure we are representing our community equitably.
We cannot fulfill our mission without focusing on racial equity. What that means to me is that youth, families, volunteers, and colleagues of color at this agency feel seen, valued, and supported throughout the work we do. I joined REC as a way to keep this focus at the front of my work, to advocate for this across all levels of our agency, and to continue learning in community with my colleagues.
Honored to dedicate my time to an agency that serves and represents the full gamut of diversity over matches, families, staff, donors, committees, boards and more. As part of REC I’m developing my awareness and advocacy, promoting equity to others I encounter professionally and personally.
Thank you for your partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts! We believe that together, we can build more equity across our communities, and we would love your input! Please feel free to reach out to REC@emassbigs.org with questions, or ideas.