15 Ways Your Match Can Celebrate Black History Month
Happy Black History Month! Are you looking for fun ways your match can celebrate Black History this month? We’ve compiled a wide range of activities your match can do together. Whether you’re into movies and arts and crafts, being active and exploring, or listening and learning, we have the activity for you!
- ARE YOU LOCAL TO BOSTON? Check out this Eventbrite website to see what’s happening each week of February! Filter by date, price, category and more.
- TAKE A TOUR of some of our home museums celebrating Black history and culture, such as The Cooper Gallery in Cambridge, the Museum of African American History in Boston and Nantucket, and also the Zion Union Heritage Museum in Hyannis.
- GET OUT AND BE ACTIVE! Support local Black Owned fitness clubs, such as TRILLFIT or 4 Corners Yoga & Wellness, by trying a workout with your match. Here are a few virtual movement activities led by Black fitness trainers or influencers: Try one for the tots, tweens, or teens.
- EAT AT A BLACK OWNED RESTAURANT!
- SUPPORT A BLACK OWNED BUSINESS!
- ENJOY A GOOD WALK? Take the Black Heritage Trail or The Freedom Trail in Boston, the The African American Heritage Trail in Martha’s Vineyard, or the New Bedford Black History Trail. Learn more about the history of various influential African Americans on New England, and overall U.S. History.
- LISTEN TO BLACK VOICES! Create a playlist on your favorite music listening platform featuring Black artists. Here are some examples to get you started: Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal. Are podcasts more your thing? Check out NPR’s “Tell Me More About Black History” series and together learn more about various moments in Black History.
- IS YOUR LITTLE INTO ARTS AND CRAFTS? Try out one of these fun Black History craft ideas that can be done virtually or in-person!
- LOOKING FOR GAMES AND ACTIVITIES? Explore these options ranging from games (with historical context), to fun experiments and more, while learning about some of America’s greatest leaders! (All ages)
- EXPLORE BLACK HISTORY ARCHIVES! Check out BlackPast and National Archives
- WATCH A MOVIE that features a Black history topic OR has a Black cast. Either watch one together in person or share your screen during your video call or use teleparty to virtually watch on platforms like Netflix, HULU, and Disney+. Please be sure to check the ratings for each title before viewing with your Little. Check out this article for suggestions on movies by age.
- START A BOOK CLUB! Together, read a Black History themed book, or a young adult book by a Black author during the month of February and beyond! Check out some of these titles for tots, tweens, and teens. Explore some of these titles that earned The Coretta Scott King Awards too!
- VIRTUALLY EXPLORE the National Museum of African American History & Culture together by taking a virtual tour or browsing the various historical collections and exhibitions available for your learning.
- WATCH YOUTUBE TOGETHER! Scroll through hundreds of #YouTubeBlackVoices videos on YouTube and learn from contemporary Black creators, artists and others’ works representing Black culture.
- LISTEN TO SOME SPEECHES by some of the most famous Black voices throughout Black History on American RadioWorks. Feel free to also check out speeches on YouTube!
- LISTEN TO A PODCAST TOGETHER! Check out NPR’s “Tell Me More About Black History” series and together learn more about various moments in Black History.
These are just a few ideas of how you can celebrate Black History this month, and EVERY month. Share with your match advocate how your match is celebrating Black History Month, or tag us on social for a chance to be featured on our pages! @EMassBigs