Mentoring a child can make a difference in your life too!
Mentoring tells a young person that there is someone in their corner. It lets them know they matter. We’re always looking for people eager to positively impact a child and improve their community at the same time. And, right now is no different. Mentors are in high demand, so decide to make a difference today.
Our community-based program is our traditional match in which adult mentors are paired with children ages 7-12, and agree to see each other for three hours, a couple of times a month.
Mentor 2.0 is a technology-enriched one-to-one youth mentoring program directly targeting high school students. Mentor-mentee pairs build their relationships through weekly online communication and monthly in-person meetings.
Research confirms that quality mentoring relationships have powerful positive effects on young people in a variety of personal, academic and professional situations.
- Increased competence, confidence, character, connection, and caring
- Decreased likelihood of skipping school
- Increased trust in adults
- 90% said relationship with their Big helped them make better choices throughout their childhood
- 42% less likely to get involved in illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to start drinking.
Impact on Big
Mentoring relationships are a shared opportunity for learning and growth. Many Bigs say that the rewards they gain are just as substantial as the ones gained by their Littles.
- Have fun!
- Achieve personal growth and learn more about themselves
- Improve their self-esteem and feel they are making a difference
- Gain a better understanding of other cultures and develop a greater appreciation for diversity
- Feel more productive and have a better attitude at work
- Enhance their relationships with their own children
Download this essential fact sheet to help prep for the volunteering process.