Head of People and Culture
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (BBBSMB – read About Us below) seeks a Head of People and Culture (P&C) .This senior professional will not only be strategic in orientation and a human capital thought leader, but will have strong execution skills with the ability to design, develop, launch and sustain programs, policies, practices, processes, etc. This individual will provide guidance and direction and ultimately act to deliver against all people and culture organizational needs in support of leaders, people managers and all employees.
Reporting to the CEO, the incoming Head of People and Culture will be a credible partner who works in support of the organization and employees; she/he/they will build upon the existing Agency capability, people engagement and culture. The successful individual will iterate and evolve a well-defined and systematic strategy, plan and function that is aligned with BBBSMB’s strategic and growth objectives. She/He/They will establish standards and design, develop, implement and manage the end-to-end processes for all people and culture needs; needs include, though are not limited to Recruitment, Brand, Learning and Development, Performance Management, Employee Engagement and Relations, D,E & I, Total Rewards (Compensation, Benefits, Recognition), Payroll (in collaboration with Finance) and Operations and Policy (in collaboration with Finance).
The Head of P&C will provide consultative support and counsel throughout the Agency, aligning business needs to drive and execute the human capital strategy needed to support the organization’s mission. She/He/They will focus on both short-term and long-term priorities ensuring delivery and measurement in tandem while assessing the future people needs (full-time, part-time, on-site, remote) and building functionality as appropriate. The role will require a breadth and depth of knowledge across the human capital centers of excellence as well as business partnership with immediate focus on people acquisition, people experience and overall people resources excellence. This role will be a hands-on “player” as the function is lean, though must possess the leadership capabilities and qualities to not only execute and “get work done” but provide strategic direction and sound counsel to the Agency at all levels.
- Execute strategic plan across people acquisition, people experience/engagement and people resources excellence with a focus on hiring and retaining the right talent. Plan will require a “builder” and “executor” of on-going, sustainable practice, programs, processes, etc.
- Strong focus on facilitating, further developing and operationalizing a culture and environment grounded in the mission, vision and values of the Agency; responsible for creating a clear Employee Value Proposition (EVP) and Talent story; inviting people to join and inviting people to stay.
- Ensure that a clear D,E & I strategy and plan are in place.
- Collaborate with managers and employees to support company initiatives, manage change, enhance business performance; handle long-term needs as well as everyday needs of managers and employees; provide counsel on strategic and tactical people-initiatives, issues, and programs impacting the employees across the Agency.
- Develop and/or update, document, and implement appropriate policies, procedures and programs for effective management of people and culture including but not limited to the following: employee relations, affirmative action, total rewards, organizational and employee development, etc.
- Maintain knowledge and coordination of policies, programs, and issues; ensure company compliance with all local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations including Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action guidelines and laws.
- Participate in all people and culture activities (e.g. recruiting, orientation, performance management, communications, space planning, development planning, exit interviews, community events, etc.)
- Generalist with a demonstrated track record in delivering sustainable business results through best-in-class people practices; minimum of seven years as a practitioner with exposure to multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of human capital disciplines by executing flawlessly on fundamentals and introducing best practices.
- Proven ability to work in self-directed environment with multiple priorities which require strong project management and decision-making capabilities. Must have a hands-on approach.
- Exposure to and intimate understanding of what qualities are needed to create and support a best-in-class Agency, including understanding the dimensions of a healthy and vibrant culture.
- Culturally sensitive and knowledgeable of people and culture issues including diverse regulatory and cultural issues and operating practices.
- Required to have verbal and written communication excellence. Other important communication skills include storytelling, and interpersonal understanding and presentation skills.
- Strong business acumen; contribute as a leadership team member beyond discipline focus.
Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
BBBSMB is an equal opportunity employer. We respect, appreciate and support diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our organization and believe that our organization is greatly enhanced when we unite people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer. BBBSMB does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (BBBSA) mission is to partner with under-resourced families to provide their children with one-to-one transformational relationships with caring adult mentors, so that their children will thrive. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (BBBSMB) is the largest mentoring organization in New England, among the top 1% of BBBSA’s affiliates nationwide and a recognized leader and innovator. The organization’s objective is to provide the best one-to-one mentoring experience in the country, based on outcomes that support positive youth development, for the greatest number of low income boys and girls at the most efficient cost structure possible. The organization has impacted the lives of more than twenty thousand children—their families and their adult mentors—with its proven, research based model in its 70-year history. It is driven by the estimated 50,000 children who are growing up in under-resourced families and communities in Eastern Massachusetts, and who, without the time and caring attention of adult role models to help defend their potential, will have to “beat the odds” to fulfill their potential. The organization currently serves more than 10,000 children (“Littles”), their guardians, and their adult volunteer “Bigs” each year.
BBBSMB is in the second year of its new Operation GO BIG! initiative to grow service by 80% to serve 5,000 children annually with greater outcomes and greater sustainability while bringing cost to serve down by 25%. In 2017, the organization completed a successful 5-year initiative to strengthen its foundation – fundraising diversification, maintaining or deepening program quality while scaling, expanding volunteer recruitment, and continuing the development of the Board and volunteer leadership – and grew service and revenue by more than 50%. The balance sheet is strong, the donor base is growing, and the organization is innovating in a variety of areas, especially with technology. This next phase of scale is exciting with the possibility of nonlinear growth through smart expansion of current programs, launching new program models, leveraging technology, geographic expansion and innovating operating processes. Lastly, the Agency is almost 100 employees strong – these employees are the fuel to Operation GO BIG – their collective power allows the Agency to experience continued success.