Program Services Coordinator
Program Services Coordinator – Martha’s Vineyard (Portuguese Preferred)
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts (BBBSEM) we believe that every child deserves to have a mentor in their corner and to ignite and defend their potential. That’s why we are committed to promoting the healthy development of children through the nurturing of continuing, one-to-one friendships with caring responsible adults, supported by trained professional staff. To accomplish this we partner with schools, workplaces, and volunteers all over Eastern Massachusetts to bring our program and services closest to youth who need them.
As our Program Services Coordinator in Martha’s Vineyard you will play a unique and essential role in the healthy development of the Big and Little match relationship. You will be the first person in the agency to see the impact of our programs. Through phone calls, emails, and other communications you will provide on-going match support to increase the quality and duration of matches and be on the lookout for any safety issues for volunteers, children and their families. This position in particular will focus on supporting some Portuguese-speaking matches and working closely with that community.
This position will work directly with our community in Martha’s Vineyard and the Cape – including the recruiting of families/volunteers and supporting those matches. Candidates will have the option of working remotely (work from home), but at times may be required to travel to sites where our programs are hosted in Martha’s Vineyard.
- Frequently contact volunteers, parents, and youth via phone, email, in-person visits, and/or match events to increase the quality and duration of the match relationship and identify any child safety issues.
- During each match contact, gather the appropriate information to make an assessment of the current state of the match and its needs. Together with each match party, you will create an action plan to ensure that the relationship can steadily develop and grow and all parties have a positive experience
- Document all contacts with matches in a timely and accurate manner and according to BBBS of America and agency standards
- Actively encourage empathy, communication, and collaboration across match parties of different backgrounds
- Collaborate closely with other staff – in program services and other departments – to enable the most volunteers and children to be successfully matched
- Share information with matches about activities, events and opportunities available through the agency
- As needed, refer volunteers, youth, and parents to other services
- Help plan, organize and attend agency-sponsored match activities for Bigs and Littles
- When a match requires closing, conduct thorough discussions with a volunteer, youth and guardian and perform accurate and timely write-up of match closure forms
- Interface with community partners and key constituents in the Portuguese speaking community
- Participate in quarterly Martha’s Vineyard Advisory Board Meetings
- Assist in the translation of relevant materials into Portuguese
- Ability to speak Portuguese
- Bachelor’s degree with one or more years of work experience, preferably in youth development, volunteer or program management, and/or education
- Availability to work full-time. Hours may include evenings and weekends
- Ability to occasionally commute to different areas of Martha’s Vineyard and the Cape as needed
- Access to reliable internet and phone connections to perform work remotely
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to fluently speak Portuguese
- Demonstrated comfort and ability to work with and motivate a wide variety of people, including youth and adults, with a preference for candidates with experience in racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse urban and/or recent immigrant communities
- Ability to successfully work independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiasm, creativity, a positive sense of humor, and a “can-do” attitude
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting
- Excellent strategic problem-solving ability with a positive, “can-do” attitude
- Preference will be given to applicants located in Martha’s Vineyard
- Willingness to commit to a minimum of 2-3 years in the role
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Office 365 suite
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $40,000.00 per year
Employee assistance program
Paid time off
Professional development assistance
Schedule: 8 hour shift, Monday to Friday
COVID-19 considerations: Thanks to our tech tools, all of our employees are currently working remotely. Even after the pandemic, our work location will continue to be flexible to best support our team.
Application Question(s): Are you able to occasionally travel within Martha’s Vineyard and Cape Cod where our programs are hosted?
Education: Bachelor’s (Required)
Language: Portuguese (Required)
Work Location: One location