Special Events Coordinator
Special Events Coordinator
Location: Eastern Massachusetts, with preference given to those based around Boston
Hours per week: Full-Time (40 hrs. p/week)
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts (BBBSEM) we believe that every child deserves to have a mentor in their corner to ignite and defend their potential. That’s why we are committed to promoting the healthy development of children through the nurturing of continuing, one-to-one friendships with caring responsible adults, supported by trained professional staff. We are supported in our mission by generous donors and who believe in what we do and donate to fund our operations year after year.
As a Fundraising Events Coordinator you will play a unique and essential role in fostering our relationships across our community by owning the preparation, planning, set up, and execution of our fundraising events. In doing so you will interact with board members, donors, volunteers, Bigs, and others who love the youth of our communities and believe in our mission. You will relationships with people from all backgrounds and foster those relationships and networks to help raise almost half of our funds for each year.
Our events are held at strategic times throughout the year and occur throughout eastern Massachusetts. So, while the specific work location for this position is flexible (especially during the current COVID-19 pandemic), preference will be given to candidates who are comfortable traveling to local sites and familiar with the geography we serve.
- Support and steer our event committees toward executing great events and hitting our revenue goals. This will include tracking revenue, expenses, goals and leading committee meetings.
- Always be on the lookout for ways to increase efficiency and engagement at events
- Contribute help towards other special events, including helping with key event logistics, timing, and sponsor and guest communication.
- Contribute to the creation of event marketing collateral to promote our events and increase attendance
- Organize the efforts to secure in-kind or silent auction items and manage and guide committee members to do the same. For the events in your portfolio, manage the set up and carrying out of the live auctions.
- Recruit, manage and provide organizational support to event volunteers
- Follow all donations with accurate and prompt donor accounts receivable invoices and acknowledgements related to events. Work with the Special Events team to ensure timely payment.
- Conduct pre and post-event reporting, documentation, and analysis on all events.
- Bachelor’s degree with two or more years of relevant work experience
- Availability to work full-time. Hours may include evenings and weekends
- Access to reliable internet and phone connections
- Familiarity with Office 365 (excel, word, PowerPoint, etc.) and Salesforce
- Ability to travel to sites where our events and committee meetings are hosted across eastern Massachusetts
- Ability to work some nights (until 7-8pm) and some weekends
- Demonstrated comfort and ability to work with and motivate a wide variety of peoplewith a preference for candidates with experience obtaining sponsors and motivating volunteers to drive revenue for an event
- Ability to successfully work independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiasm, creativity, a positive sense of humor, and a “can-do” attitude
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting
- Prior experience with budgeting and accounting principles
- Excellent strategic problem-solving ability with a positive, “can-do” attitude
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Office 365 suite
We respect, appreciate, and support diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our organization and believe that our organization is greatly enhanced when we unite people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer. BBBSEM does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
Career / Application Form