LC3 October Snacktivity – Vegan Ceviche
FACTS ABOUT CEVICHE:
- Origin: Ancient Incan food, area of South America that is currently Peru and Ecuador
- Made with a technique called escabeche where the food is softened by marinating it in vinegar, citrus and spices.
- This process is linked to Muslim heritage that was brought over from Spain.
- The chemical process of escabeche style marinating with the citrus/acid is similar to what happens to fish when cooked (turns opaque and becomes firm)
- Traditionally fish is the main ingredient, but often other types of seafood are used , like shrimp
- The salsa like dish is served many different ways (often in a crystal bow and toothpicks). Historically it was served alongside slices of cold sweet potato & corn on the cob, or with popcorn and nuts. It is often served now with tortilla chips or pita. Because of its versitility, It is often used as a dish to mix with other styles of food – example would be Japanese fusion.
Ceviche Recipe (from food.com):
INGREDIENTS (UNITS: US)
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, cut in rings
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (any color)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced (or to taste)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- avocado (optional)
- cucumber (optional)
- green bell pepper (optional)
- Cut hearts of palm in circles and pop out the middle. (i keep the middle in the dish but the little loops look like octopus).
- Chop everything else and mix together.
- Serve in martini or margarita glasses with a little cilantro and fresh black pepper on top.
Free Fact Sheet
10 Things for Parents to Know
Get the Free Fact Sheet
Children s safety is our number one priority; throughout the duration of the match, not just the beginning!