Language, Community, and Culture Committee
The LC3 team exists to serve and support Bigs, families and staff members in their unique culture and communities, in order to create an inclusive environment and promote equitable access to information and resources across our agency and programs. While currently focused on Spanish Speaking matches, LC3 will expand to serve other communities in Eastern MA by supporting and celebrating our matches and staff for whom English is a second language through hosting events, trainings, and ensuring that our communications and documentation are available to all. Looking to the future, we are excited to be branching out to support more communities represented by our matches and staff.
What we do:
- Create dashboards and other data collection strategies that will allow us to learn more about the specific English as a second language (ESL) communities we serve.
- Ensure equitable access to our resources for matches & families by translating agency documents, and standardizing the language used.
- Craft activities to celebrate our communities – i.e. Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 – Oct. 15)
- Address issues and current events that directly affect the Latinx community, and other ESL communities
What we’re currently working on:
- Retaining and supporting current Spanish-speaking Bigs, staff and families.
- Creating a strategy for engaging Bigs and families that speak languages other than English and Spanish.
- Addressing issues and current events that directly affect the Latinx community.
- Creating a sense of community among staff and celebrating different backgrounds and cultures.
- Creating dashboards and data collection strategies that will allow us to learn more about the different communities and cultures we serve.
- Ensuring equitable access to our resources for matches & families by translating and creating Spanish language documents and standardizing the language we use.
- Further increasing awareness about issues affecting ESL communities to ensure they are front of mind.
- Participating in the crafting of activities to celebrate our community during Hispanic Heritage month (September 15 – October 15).
I never take for granted the opportunity the show up to work at BBBSEM fully embracing and celebrating the intersectionality’s of my identity. I am thankful and excited to celebrate the cultures of the families and communities we serve and to continue to use my voice to advocate, support, and collaborate on initiatives as we all work to ensure equity and access for all.
Sarah Adams Marketing and Communications Coordinator
I’m excited to be on the LC3 team to help ensure we provide accessible resources to all communities that we serve. I look forward to celebrating and learning more about the different cultures in our BBBSEM community!
As someone who was born and raised in the same communities we work in, it’s exciting to be a part of a committee that seeks to better serve and represent our Spanish-speaking families. I’m looking forward to the conversations, initiatives and strategies that we will create as a committee, and for the positive impact it will have on our agency and on our families.
Being a part of the LC3 team has been a great experience in supporting our Spanish Speaking families and Bigs. I have enjoyed helping them incorporate their cultures into their matches. I am glad to be a part of a team that can support matches not only in their native language, but that also recognizes that there is much more to supporting Spanish Speaking families than just bridging a language difference.
The team’s mission within BBBSEM is really near and dear to my heart, so I’m thrilled to be a part of it and help bring the perspective of spanish speaking families to our agency. Our team has a chance to really impact people within and around our agency who speak spanish in so many great ways and we’ll do what we can to make that happen!
As a member of the Programs and Services team I am proud to be a part of a committee that celebrates the cultures and heritage of many of the children, families and Bigs I work with every day. As we continue to work hard to promote diversity, equity and inclusion I will do my best to stand proud as an ally.