11 Ways Your Match Can Celebrate Black History Month
Happy Black History Month! Are you looking for fun ways your match can celebrate Black History this month? We’ve compiled a wide range of activities your match can do together. Whether you’re into movies and arts and crafts, being active and exploring, or listening and learning, we have the activity for you!
- WATCH A MOVIE that features a Black history topic OR has a Black cast. Simply share your screen during your video call or use teleparty to virtually watch on platforms like Netflix, HULU, and Disney+. Please be sure to check the ratings for each title before viewing with your Little.
- BOOK CLUB TIME! Together, read a Black History themed book, or a young adult book by a Black author during the month of February and beyond! Check out some of these titles for tots, tweens, and teens. Explore some of these titles that earned The Coretta Scott King Awards too!
- VIRTUALLY EXPLORE the National Museum of African American History & Culture together by taking a virtual tour or browsing the various historical collections and exhibitions available for your learning.
- TAKE A TOUR of some of our home museums celebrating Black history and culture, such as The Cooper Gallery in Cambridge, the Museum of African American History in Boston and Nantucket, and also the Zion Union Heritage Museum in Hyannis.
- WATCH AND LISTEN to a #YouTubeBlack voices video on YouTube and learn from contemporary Black creators, artists and others’ works representing Black culture.
- HAVE AN OLDER LITTLE? Or a Little that’s into podcasts? Check out NPR’s “Tell Me More About Black History” series and together learn more about various moments in Black History.
- LISTEN to some of the most famous speeches by Black voices throughout Black History on American RadioWorks. Feel free to also check out speeches on YouTube!
- LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ACTIVE? Support local Black Owned fitness clubs, such as TRILLFIT or 4 Corners Yoga & Wellness, by trying a workout with your match. Here are a few virtual movement activities led by Black fitness trainers or influencers: Try one for the tots, tweens, or teens.
- ENJOY A GOOD WALK? Take the Black Heritage Trail or The Freedom Trail in Boston, the The African American Heritage Trail in Martha’s Vineyard, or the New Bedford Black History Trail. Learn more about the history of various influential African Americans on New England, and overall U.S. History.
- IS YOUR LITTLE INTO ARTS AND CRAFTS? Try out one of these fun Black History craft ideas that can be done virtually or in-person!
- LOCAL – BOSTON & CAPE COD – We are still in a pandemic, but there are ways to celebrate in-person or even virtually. Check out how Boston is celebrating here. Are you in Cape Cod & The Islands areas? Check out how communities such as Woods Hole and others are celebrating virtually and in-person.
These are just a few ideas of how you can celebrate Black History this month, and EVERY month. Share with your match advocate how your match is celebrating Black History Month, or tag us on social for a chance to be featured on our pages! @EMassBigs
Free Fact Sheet
10 Things for Parents to Know
Get the Free Fact Sheet
Children s safety is our number one priority; throughout the duration of the match, not just the beginning!